Sunday, October 12, 2008

When times get tough, better hope for a good manager!


Today’s poor economy has caused many companies to cut back and downsize, requiring employees to do the same amount of work with limited recourses. Needless to say, finding motivation in this work environment can be very challenging.

Economic times are tough, especially in the housing industry, which has caused the association I work for to cut back wherever possible. In the past year, we have had two of our four employees leave the organization and for budgetary reasons were not replaced. As one might imagine, relying on only one or two employees to be responsible for nearly all the daily operations is often frustrating and has caused many logistical issues.

As I become familiar with personality tests, evaluate organization communication models, and study theories of motivation it is no surprise to me why I have remained a loyal employee throughout this tough time. My director is a right-brained conceptual and empathic type (Warner 2000). While he was certainly sympathetic to the large increase of responsibilities I was asked to take on, he was still focused on his job to save the organization from a budget deficit. At the same time, having always been an open communicator, I’ve had to balance out a more closed approach by virtue of the fact there was no other staff beyond the director.

However, because the director follows a more Robert Owen (Shah & Shah n.d.) human relations style of management his efforts to be attentive and sympathetic to my frustrations and appreciative of my additional responsibilities, has been successful to keep me as a loyal employee. An additional personal motivator relates to the Maslow and Herzerberg theories, in that my boss and I share the same values (Shah &Shah n.d. and Tutor2u 2007). He has created an association culture that makes it a priority for its employees to have the flexibility at work to spend time at home with family and also makes sure it keeps a competitive in salaries so that it retains good workers.

Luckily for me even as times have been challenging, my bosses actions and the company’s culture have kept me motivated to see the organization through this difficult time.

Reference

Shah, K. & Shah, P. (n.d.) Motivation. Retrieved July 10, 2007, from http://www.laynetworks.com/Motivation.html.

Warner, J. (2001). Emotional Intelligence Style Profile. Team Publications Pty. Limited.

tutor2u. (2007). motivation in theory - herzberg two factor theory. Retrieved June 4, 2007 from http://www.tutor2u.net/business/people/motivation_theory_herzberg.asp.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Oh boy, I do hope that Boss understands your loyalty. Isn't it great that you have that connection with your organization? So many people strive for that. You're the right fit for your manager - other people would go nuts working for a conceptual person. It's very special that Boss allows/encourages you to invest yourself withing your own family too. That is a huge benefit, far beyond pay or vacation time.